Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Peanut Butter and Jelly "Uncrustables"

If you have children you probably know about Uncrustables.  These tasty little PB&J sandwiches have the crusts already cut off and are sealed into these little pockets of yumminess. You can find them in your freezer aisle for a pretty hefty price tag. I decided to make my own for less than $0.50/sandwich. (Even cheaper with coupons, sales, cheaper bread, etc. . .)

Peanut Butter and Jelly "Uncrustables"

Ingredients:
Bread
Peanut Butter
Jelly (I'll be making these with homemade strawberry jam once I find an awesome sale on strawberries.)
 Set up your assembly station.
Just had to throw this in there, one of my FAVORITE things is getting that first scoop in a new jar of peanut butter. If I was Maria in the Sound of Music, it would have been included in my song about favorite things. :D
Spread a layer of peanut butter on each and every slice. I'm going to be taking the crusts off of these, so only spread it in the middle. You want PB on every slice to prevent the jelly from sogging (is that a word?) into the bread while your sandwich thaws. Plop a bit of jelly into the center of half of the bread slices.
If you have a sandwich sealer, go ahead and use it now. I do not. I used this great pink tumbler from Ikea. Just find something round, or square, that is about the right size to cut out your sandwich. I pushed the cup down and then just kind of twirled it a bit to really seal it shut.
Go ahead and pull the crust away from the sandwich (it shouldn't be too difficult) and stick the crusts in a bag to use later. You can use them for homemade breadcrumbs, croutons, etc. . . Just stick the bag in the freezer until you find a great use for them.
 And there you have it! Don't they look just like the store-bought ones?! And just as yummy too!
Go ahead and stick them into your bag/container and keep them in the freezer. Pull them out about half an hour before you want to eat, to let them thaw. Unless you like them frozen. I know some people who are like that. . .
 Here's one after it's been frozen and thawed. Not soggy at all and perfectly delicious. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...