Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sweet and Spicy Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

Alright folks, I am about to unveil my absolute favorite salsa. EVER. Don't get me wrong, I love a good fresh pico de gallo with chips or some mango salsa with my nachos every once in a while. However, THIS salsa is amazing on EVERYTHING. Quesadillas, burritos, tacos, chips, nachos, on a spoon. . . Just kidding about the last one. ;)
Every time Bountiful Baskets offers the Mexican Pack, I get SO excited because it has everything I need to make this salsa (not that I couldn't just pick everything up at the grocery store, but still. .  .)

I totally spaced on the "ingredients" picture. Sorry!

Sweet and Spicy Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

10 Tomatillos, husked and rinsed
1 small Onion
2 cloves Garlic, unpeeled
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Green Chile (I used an Anaheim Chile)
1 Jalapeno
1 Lime
2-3 Tbsps Brown Sugar
1 tsp Sugar
Cilantro! 1/4-1/2 Cup

Turn on your broiler.
Cut the tomatillos, peppers, onion and chile to about the same size. Toss them all in a large baking dish. I lined it with foil to make for an easier clean-up. Toss the garlic cloves in there too, still unpeeled.
Stick the pan under the broiler for 7-12 minutes, turning everything once or twice while they're cooking. The longer they are under the broiler, the more "roasted" they will be. Your salsa will have a deeper flavor the more it's roasted. I like it that way, but this time I wanted the flavor to be a little more "fresh."
As you can see, the stuff isn't too charred.
Once it's done, make sure to fish out your garlic cloves. Being careful (they are hot!), remove the peel and just add the garlic back to the baking dish.
 Now, dump everything straight into a blender.
 Whiz that up until all the big chunks are gone.
 Mm!
 Look! I got a picture of a couple ingredients! Here is where you're going to need the sugars and the lime.
 Add your salsa to a saucepan on medium-high heat. Add the brown sugar.
 Then add the white sugar.
 Now cut that lime in half and squish all the juices into the salsa!
 Mix it all up and cook it just until it starts to boil.
 There's a bubble! It's boiling! Remove from heat now.
Now, chop up your cilantro. Is it weird that I was smelling this cilantro and then told my husband that I wish there was a cilantro perfume that I could spray myself with? Yes? Oh well. I love that smell!!!
 Add it to your salsa.
 Stir it all up. You really don't need that much cilantro. I just have an obsession.
 You can go ahead and serve it warm. . .
 . . . or stick it in the fridge and chill it up. It tastes great both ways!

Extra notes: This particular recipe is a little mild. I mean, it definitely has some kick, but I also like to spice it up some more by just adding an extra jalapeno into the mix. For a little bit of a richer flavor, you can roast the veggies at 450 degrees for 30-40 minutes. I am not usually that patient though. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hot or cold - it doesn't matter it's delicious either way. Love the sweet touch you added to this salsa.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...